I am a mother, a neighbor, a caregiver, an entrepreneur, an advocate, a leader, a friend and a partner.
This is what I believe:
Our community deserves a clear vision
I've lived in Chattanooga, TN for 20 years and in the Hixson community since we moved to Middle Valley in 2008. I grew up in a military family, and I was fortunate to live in many different places in the United States and even across the globe when we served two tours in Japan. I can appreciate what a wonderful place Hixson is to live, work, play and raise a family. But communities don't continue thrive and grow without thoughtful planning. I will work with you to do just that.
Small businesses are the backbone of our economy
In 2012 I followed a dream and opened my own small business, a wine bar called Brix Nouveau. I learned so much about the kind of passion and determination it takes to make a dream a reality. I know how hard it is. I also learned all the ways our local businesses are connected to both the surrounding community and the local government. I sold my business in 2014, and I am forever grateful to all of the people who made that chapter of my life such a valuable experience. I've gained a unique insight into the joys and the challenges of running a small, local business and I will work hard to make Hamilton County more supportive of our small businesses across the county- not just downtown.
our children are precious
I have a son who turned 3 in May, and a daughter just born a few weeks ago. As a parent raising my children in today's Hamilton County, I am especially invested our community's future. Like you, I want my children to have the best educational advantages. I believe that in this great country, every child should be able to get a top quality education for free at their neighborhood school, regardless of what neighborhood they live in. As your County Commissioner, I will work tirelessly with our school board, with my community and with our HCDE Administration and teachers to give our children the education they deserve.
Like you, I want my children to be healthy and whole as they enter adulthood. Many families in our county are facing a crisis in opioid and other addictions. Our elected leaders should be leading the effort to solve this widespread addiction crisis.
Like you, I want my children to be safe in our neighborhood and at school. Violence, crime and bullying in any form tears down what families work so hard to build. I will be an advocate in our government for the protection of all our children.
We need high quality employers
Hamilton County has worked hard to attract great employers, and that work is ongoing. I know how important it is to have a good job that pays well and provides essential benefits for families. It is vital to our local economy to promote an environment that encourages business growth and job creation, but any taxpayer funded incentives need to be carefully administered. I will be your voice on the County Commission to advocate for responsible development that includes community input. Only businesses that demonstrate that their workers will be paid a living wage will earn my vote.
If you agree that our government should be working harder to make our community better, commit to vote for Rosabelle Gorman on August 2, 2018.
Accomplishments I am proud of
- I've been married to my husband, Marshall, for over 15 years. We have a son who will be three this year, and we are expecting a daughter in June.
- I'm currently a REALTOR with Crye-Leike Realtors in Hixson.
- I've worked in banking, corporate property management, contract management and human resources through great opportunities with First Tennessee Bank and Volkswagen Group of America.
- I've served on the Board of Directors for:
- Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, North Shore Council
- North Shore Merchants Collective
- Chattanooga Writers Guild
- After 8 years of working full time and taking night classes part time, I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Business, Organizational Management from Bryan College.
- I've served as a volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Humane Educational Society in Chattanooga.
- I built and operated a small business, Brix Nouveau, on Chattanooga's North Shore. This experience enriched me in countless ways.
- I'm a graduate of the Bill Holmberg Arts Leadership Institute
- In 2015, after giving birth to my son, I started a support group for new mothers that is still active today.